YMCA Archives Logo
318 Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, 222 21st Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55455

YMCA OF METROPOLITAN MINNEAPOLIS CAMPING SERVICES:
An Inventory of its Records


TABLE OF CONTENTS
Historical Sketch | Contents Summary/Organization | Administrative/Access Info | Contents Details | Related Materials | Indexed Terms/Access Points


OVERVIEW OF THE COLLECTION

Creator: Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Minneapolis
Title: Camping services records
Date: 1904-2010 (bulk 1960-1990)
Collection Number: Y.MPL.005
Abstract: Records documenting the administration of the camping programs of the YMCA Minneapolis are contained, including Camps Icaghowan, Ihduhapi, Menogyn, Warren, and various day camps. Available records include committee minutes, finances, evaluations, annual reports, and marketing materials.
Quantity: Approximately 18 cubic feet (36 boxes)
Location: See Detailed Description section for box listing.


KEY DATES IN THE HISTORY OF THE CAMPING SERVICES OF THE YMCA MINNEAPOLIS

1885 In 1885, Sumner F. Dudley, a YMCA secretary from Newburgh, New York, takes seven boys to nearby Camp Baldhead on Orange Lake for eight days. Within a few years, the camp becomes known as Camp Dudley, and is the oldest organized camp with a continuous history in the United States. From this modest beginning, the YMCA camp movement grows and expands all across the United States.
1899 The first attempt of a Minneapolis YMCA boys camp is held on the Baptist Assembly grounds in Mound, Minnesota. In the following years, it is held at the Muskey Farm, a part of the Longyear estate 1930-1939.
1900 The first Minneapolis YMCA Boys Camp is held on the shores of Lake Minnetonka, with 47 boys attending. The following year, 1901, the number increases to 85 campers.
1902 The Minneapolis YMCA Boys Camp moves to Lake Francis, Elysian, Minnesota, but the distance discourages campers.
1903-1905 The venue changes once again, this time to Clear Lake, Minnesota. It is becoming very clear to the organization at this time that without a permanent camp site and proper equipment, it will be impossible to develop a camping program in any substantial way.
1906-1907 The YMCA leases a summer club house along the southern shore of Lake Calhoun in order to establish a young men's residential camp; but has to be abandoned after the first year due to the encroaching urban sprawl.
1907 The first Minneapolis YMCA-owned resident camp, Icaghowan, opens with five acres on Green Lake near Chisago City, Minnesota.
1915-1916 In the summer seasons at Camp Icaghowan, four camps of two weeks each are conducted with a total attendance of 103 boys.
1919 In the summer season, a group of 380 working boys camp in a rented shack on Cedar Lake.
1919-1923 A group of young men camp at Bush Lake in 1919 and 1920, but by 1921 the rented site is taken over by the General Offices from the Young Men's Division, and run on a city-wide basis serving 311 boys from various groups, including the Americanization group, dormitory boys, church groups, and working boys.
1922 Camp Menogyn, Chippewa for "to grow everywhere", is added to the YMCA Minneapolis camping program. Wilder than Camp Icaghowan, this camp is located 35 miles north of Grand Marais, Minnesota. It is designed for use in August only as a long-term camp with a city-wide enrollment.
1924 An attempt to purchase 10 acres of the E.J. Fairfield property on Lake Minnetonka is made, but the plan is quickly abandoned when adjoining property owners (several of whom are supporters and contributors to the Minneapolis YMCA) object to having a camp on that site. For the summer, an alternative site on Lake Minnetonka is lent to the Young Men's Division by former Minneapolis Mayor J. E. Meyers – Enchanted Island.
1925-1926 Camp Menogyn is closed for summer seasons in 1925 and 1926 due to lack of enrollment.
1927 Camp Warren is purchased through the generous Dayton Endowment, two hundred acres of virgin timberland near Evelyth, Minnesota, near Half Moon and Pleasant Lakes. The property is purchased from a Mrs. O.B. Warren and the camp is named on behalf of her husband. Six cabins are initially built on the property to provide overflow from Camp Icaghowan. Camp Warren fills to capacity from the very first year.
1929 Camp Warren is officially dedicated on July 8, 1929.
1929 Camp Ihduhapi, (EE-doo-hop-ee), of Lakota origin for "Independence," is established on land purchased from Mrs. Annie Forbes. Totally 31.18 acres, the heavily wooded site located on Lake Independence has a 600-foot bathing beach.
1929 Camp Menogyn is open for the entire summer. Due to the high enrollment organized by districts, the time-allotment each group spends here has to be shortened. By 1934, Camp Menogyn is a "post graduate camp," the only camp in the state of Minnesota to offer a wilderness experience to challenge older boys and young men.
1930 Camp Ihduhapi opens on July 31, 1930, and becomes the first fully winterized YMCA Minneapolis camp, hosting a main lodge, 14 sleeping cabins, dining hall, handicraft cabin, in addition to other buildings. Located 25 miles west of Minneapolis, the camp eventually expands to over 172 acres by 1961.
1934 Camp Menogyn moves to a new site in Cook County on the north shore of West Bearskin Lake on 35 acres. Containing a bluff overlooking three pine-covered islands, the site is more level and includes two calm bays. The site is thought to have the necessary facilities for training campers before taking them out on wilderness canoe trips. This new site is purchased through a 1933 camping operations budget surplus and a generous donation from Russell H. Bennett.
1936 Due to the interest of boys younger than 10 (the age limit set at Camp Warren upon opening), in the summer of 1936 a Cub Camp opens, and eight log cabins are built to scale for the purpose.
1948 Camp Menogyn is enlarged and made more complete during the 1948 camping season.
1949 After serving youth on Green Lake for 42 years, in 1949 Camp Icaghowan moves to a new site on Lake Wappogassett near Amery, Wisconsin.
1950 The first day camp property – Green Triangle – is established on a few acres of Camp Committee member Don Willis' farm, near Orono, Minnesota. It becomes the first day camp recognized by the American Camping Association.
1954 Camp Manitou, another day camp, is established, operating out of the North Side branch.
1955 Camp Kici Yapi, day camp, is established, operating out of the Northeast Y branch, and by 1969 serves four branches, including Hiawatha, Minnesota Valley, West Central, and Southdale.
1956 A day camp program is formed at the Kelley Farm by Roosevelt branch.
1958 Camp Christmas Tree on Dutch Lake is donated by an anonymous donor, and dedicated in the summer of 1958.
1958 The day camp program composed of 1, 727 campers through the Minneapolis YMCA in the 958 season, demonstrating phenomenal growth.
1959 The 1959 resident camp breakdown of 237,000 total participants included 65% boys, 17% girls, 11% adult men and women, and 5% YMCA leaders and staff.
1963 Camp Monticello, with 1,000 acres on Mud, Long, First, and Bertram Lakes is sold to the Minneapolis YMCA by the Lehigh-Portland Cement Company. This camp is used as the location for the Summer Work Training program from 1964-1967.
1963 Camp Kabetogama is formed, with 90 acres of wilderness land 25 miles southeast of International Falls, Minnesota, donated by Mr. and Mrs. Enoch Sward.
1968 The first co-oed camping group is taken to Camp Menogyn by Gary Lewis, executive of several branches during 1960-1979.
1970-1979 Girls are integrated into the Minneapolis YMCA Camp programs, "in order to meet the growing need for service to the total family". All camps except Kici Yapi, Ihduhapi, and Warren are now open to girls. Over the decade, the last remaining camps are also integrated.
1984 A single parent family camp is established at YMCA Camp Ihduhapi.
1985 The YMCA World Camp program celebrates 100 years, with 50 US campers and 50 others from around the world. Before departing to Camp Northland near Ely, Minnesota, the campers spend the day at Camp Warren.
2002 The Camp Streefland horse program, the Streefland Colts, is transitioned to Camp Kici Yapi.
2003 On December 22, 2003, a major fire at Camp Streefland destroys the barn, which serves as the central gathering place and program center. Between 2004-2007, renovations are completed at Camp Streefland, including a new program center with infirmary and office, sewer and water updates, and general camp ground upkeep.
2010 As of summer 2010, in addition to the long-standing residential camps, the Minneapolis YMCA also operates six regional day camps, including: Camp Kici Yapi, Camp Christmas Tree, Camp Streefland, Camp Guy Robinson, Camp Manitou, and Camp Ihduhapi.

(Information taken from Breaking New Ground, Building Strong Lives: 140 Years of Youth Work with the Minneapolis YMCA by Paul Hillmer, 2006; from Builders of Men: A History of the Minneapolis Young Men's Christian Association: 1866-1936 by S. Wirt Wiley and Florence Lehmann; and from the collection).



SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION

Program administration, correspondence, reports, memoranda, articles, newspapers, pamphlets, photographs, scrapbooks, and other records documenting the programs devoted to the development of Camping Services in the Minneapolis YMCA, covering the years of 1914 to 2007.



ORGANIZATION/ARRANGEMENT OF THE RECORDS

These documents are organized into the following sections:
Camping Administration Records
Camp Christmas Tree
Camp Green Triangle
Camp Guy Robinson
Camp Icaghowan
Camp Ihduhapi
Camp Kici Yapi
Camp Manitou
Camp Menogyn
Camp Streefland
Camp Tamarac
Camp Warren


ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
Preferred Citation:
[Indicate the cited item and/or series here]Camping Services Records. Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Minneapolis. Kautz Family YMCA Archives. University of Minnesota.
See the Chicago Manual of Style for additional examples.
Processing Information:
Processed by: Jesse Harpestad, Kathryn Oosterhuis, and Alex Bentley, March 2014.
Catalog Record ID number: 6448596


DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE COLLECTION

Note to Researchers: Please see the separate inventories for the individual series listed below for more detailed information on the contents of each box.

Camping Administration

Box 128 10 Year Development Plans for Camps, 1960-1970. 2 folders.
Box 126 Articles, 1904-1914.
Board Materials:
Box 62 Camping Committee, 1970-1971.
Box 127 Camping Services Board Materials, 2004-2005. 4 folders.
Box 77 Camps Board, 2001.
Box 126 Camps Board Information, 1999-2001. 5 folders.
Box 127 Camps Board Minutes, 2002-2003. 3 folders.
Box 77 Camps Board of Management, 2002.
Box 127 Camps Board of Management, 2002. 3 folders.
Box 54 Camp Applications for Social Service, 1975.
Camp Participant Forms for Reimbursement, 1973. 8 folders.
Box 129 Camp Quotes and Stories, 1999-2001.
Box 121 Camp Secretary Manual, undated.
Box 127 Camper Accident and Health Insurance Forms, 1972.
Box 128 Camper Insurance Brochure, 1972.
Camper Exchange Program:
Box 128 Camper Exchange Osaka, Japan, 1996.
Camper Exchange Russia, 1962.
International Camper Exchange, 1963, 1965-1970. 6 folders.
Campership:
Box 54 Campership Applications, 1973-1975. 5 folders.
Box 123 Campership Campaign, 1991.
Box 53 Welfare and Campership Applications and Forms, 1975.
Box 4 "Can Camping make a difference?", 1963.
Content Note: A study on the impact of camping on the character development of less priviledged boys.
Box 97 Can Camping Make a Difference? Research Project, 1963.
Box 127 Capital Campaign, 1993-1994. 8 folders.
Charles Cole's Personal File, Correspondence, Clippings, etc, 1945-1953. 2 folders.
Content Note: Charles Cole was on the Camping Services Committee and a Board President. Much of the material is about camps.
Day Camp:
Box 127 Day Camp Accident Claims, 1972.
Day Camp Accident Reports, 1973. 2 folders.
Day Camp Brochures, 2000.
Day Camper Insurance, 1967-1970. 2 folders.
Box 128 Grandma Jean Endowment Fund, 2007.
Family Camps, 2000. 2 folders.
Last Day Song, 1980-1989.
Box 80 Long Range Camp Study, 1970-1980. 1 volume.
Box 84 Long Range Camp Study, 1970-1980. 1 volume.
Marketing and Public Relations:
Box 77 Brochures, 1930-1939.
Box 127 Clippings, undated.
General Brochures, 1990-2000.
Letters, Brochures, Articles, 1958.
Box 128 Marketing, 2001.
Box 121 Newsletters, 1974-1983. 3 folders.
Box 128 Newsletters, Brochures, 2000.
Press Releases, 1988.
Box 121 Promotion Committee, 1972.
Box 129 Promotional Material, 2000-2009. 2 folders.
Box 121 Promotions, 1972.
Box 97 Measuring Character Development in Camping Research Project, 1962.
Box 128 Miscellaneous, 2000-2007.
Miscellaneous, 1999.
Miscellaneous Camping Service, 1990.
Box 84 National YMCA Camping Standards, 1970. 1 volume.
Box 128 Northland Recreation Laboratory, 1971.
Box 124 Program Resource Manuals: Camping, Core Program Overview, Values Education, Trailblazers, 1980-1989.
Reports:
Box 126 Annual Camping Report, 1965-1970. 2 folders, 5 volumes.
Box 80 Annual Camping Report, 1966. 1 volume.
Box 85 Annual Camping Report, 1967-1975, 1978. 9 volumes.
Box 77 Annual Reports and Advertisements, 1965-1970.
Box 127 Camps Final Report Customer Survey, 1997. 2 folders.
Box 80 Metro Program Camp Report, 1977. 1 volume.
Box 70 Statistical Reports Camping, 1955-1966. 4 folders.
Box 85 Summer Camp Reports, 1976. 1 volume.
Box 129 Residence Day Camp Insurance, 1963-1965.
Resident Camp:
Box 129 Resident Camp Accident Reports, 1974.
Resident Camp Claims, 1972.
Resident Camp Claims, Camp Tamarac, 1972.
Resident Camp Insurance, 1971.
Resident Camp Insurance, 1967-1970.
Resident Camp Insurance Claims, 1971.
Resident Camps Sickness and Accident Reports, 1973.
Self Concept Changes in Adolescents Participating in Summer Adventure Camping Experience, 1978.
S'mores, 2000.
Box 56 St Paul Camp du Nord, undated.
Box 129 Staff Training, 1988.
Summer Programs, 2000-2001. 6 folders.
Box 78 Taxation Records, 1982.
Box 137 Various Camp Documents, 1960-2004.
Box 85 "Why Crickets Chirp" Minneapolis Council of Camp Fire Girls, 1972. 1 volume.


Camp Christmas Tree

Box 137 Historical Minutes, 1964-1969.
Historical Rosters, 1970-1971.
Miscellaneous, 2003-2004.
Miscellaneous Historical, 1964-1970s. 3 folders.


Camp Green Triangle

Box 128 Miscellaneous, 1950.


Camp Guy Robinson

Box 128 Scrapbook, 2007.
Miscellaneous Newspaper Articles, 2000-2007.


Camp Icaghowan

Background Note: Recognizing the importance of camping and exercise as a method of moral formation in young men and boys, the first Minneapolis YMCA-owned resident camp, Camp Icaghowan opened in 1908, one of the first organized boys camp projects in the state of Minnesota. Located on five acres on Green Lake near Chisago City, Minnesota, Icaghowan ("eye-KAH-goh-wahn") of Lakota origin means "To Grow in Every Way." Camp Icaghowan was designed to serve boys living in the downtown, northeast, southeast, south central, and south town areas in the Minneapolis area. Recognizing limitations within each of these communities, scholarship assistance from other groups such as the Rotary, Y's Men's clubs, and individuals provided financial assistance for those who would otherwise be unable to afford a summer camping experience.
The first campers stayed in simple tents without floors or cots, used a small cook shack for meals, and ate in an adjacent tent. Some camping equipment was purchased, and a dining hall was erected in the first couple of seasons. Additional improvements were made every season, including an enlarged dining hall, a well, and a headquarters building. By the 1915-1916 summer seasons, four camp sessions of two weeks each were conducted with a total attendance of 103 boys. W.G.Cartlich, the boys' work secretary became the first camp director.
In 1916, money was allocated from the 1916 YMCA Minneapolis building campaign to buy an additional ten acres adjoining the first purchase along the lake front. More equipment was purchased. The following year, tents began to be replaced with more durable shelters. A Director's cottage was built and a new foundation for the existing dining hall was put in, with an addition to the east side of the building to provide for a proper kitchen and quarters for the cook. New steps to the lake shore were added, among many other improvements.
Christian fellowship had always been a focal point at Camp Icaghowan, with daily Bible study classes, evening tent devotions, and Sunday services. The spirit of the camp was summed up in 1940 as "growth, fair play, fun, and friendship, all based on the ideals and character of the Master, Jesus Christ." In 1947, the site provided a camping experience to almost 400 boys on an expanded 29 acres. A garden developed and maintained added to the urban-campers experience while also contributing to the meals served to campers. By 1948, the camp had expanded to consist of: a dining hall with kitchen, an old log lodge, a craft shop, infirmary, director's cabin with four rooms, cook's cabin, headquarters building, ten permanently constructed tent houses, two small storage buildings, two bathroom houses with running water, and a pump house.
Beyond the in-camp experience, Camp Icaghowan also provided beyond-camp excursions for those who wished a more rugged, on-the-trail camping experience, usually involving canoeing and/or backpacking.
Recognizing the limitations of the existing camp site after 41 years, including encroaching development, an exhaustive search lasting five years was conducted to find a new site for Camp Icaghowan. The camp had been enlarged piecemeal to accommodate the growing program, but by 1945 the existing lodge, built to accommodate 36 boys plus staff, was housing almost 100 people, using the same mess hall built in 1908.
In 1948, Icaghowan moved to a new site of 113 acres on Lake Wappogassett near Amery, Wisconsin. The land was purchased from the estate of Bob Wallace (of the Wallace Reader's Digest family), past president of Macalester college. Lyndon F. Cedarblade, city-wide program secretary wrote of the land, "This beautifully wooded tract, 35 acres of which is a peninsula, will be an ideal place on which to build a fine summer camp for boys. The increased capacity will permit serving a minimum of 550 boys each summer." Camp construction included eight cabins with fireplaces, a dining hall, toilets, a well, showers by the beach, and a building devoted for staff. The waterfront and docks were constructed at a later date.
On July 31, 1949, the new Camp Icaogowan was officially dedicated. The program included hymns, prayer, remarks by Charles W. Drew, the Dedication Committee Chairman, greetings from the Amery Mayor, words from Chiver S. Aas, chairman of the Camp Icaghowan committee, Harper Clesen, General Secretary of the YMCA Minneapolis, Malcolm McDonald, President, and concluded with the traditional song "Dear Old Icaghowan." While Minnesota Governor Youngdahl was invited, his schedule precluded attendance. In early August of that same year, the flagpole and flag presentation ceremony occurred, dedicated to a youth counselor who was killed in World War II, "the sacred memory of John H. Lindberg, who in war and peace served God and his fellowmen in Christian love and devotion."
Improvements and additions to the camping experience at Icaoghowan continued in the following decades, including a new pier donated by the metro group, Y's Men in 1952. A health services department and an addition to the Director's cabin were completed in 1953, followed by three more cabins and a waterfront building constructed in 1956. The lodge basement was also finished this year. A new updated camp entrance designed in 1957 added to the highly visible improvements. In 1963, 49 acres were donated, known within the organization as "the secret", and used for camping excursions beyond the main camp site.
The sailing program at Icagowan grew to six boats in the fleet and many campers qualifying as "skippers" by 1967, despite previous barriers to the program. The oldest bell (1894) in the Amery area was erected at Icaghowan in 1967, with over 105 residents gathering at the camp to celebrate the occasion. Between 1969-1971, significant improvements and renovations were completed, including a new residence, remodeling of the camp kitchen, new beds, mattresses, and floors in cabins, among others. Much-needed new boat motors were donated for camper enjoyment for many subsequent summers. Additional preparations and renovations for winter camping were completed.
In 1970, girls are integrated into the Minneapolis YMCA Camp programs, "in order to meet the growing need for service to the total family." In the 1972 annual meeting of sustaining members of Camp Icaghowan, it was noted that "the successful venture of a co-ed camp continued to be a source of satisfaction... We saw more interest in joint activities and more acceptance of the shared use of the same site." Weekend family camping also became a focus during the 1969-1979 decade at Icaoghowan, with a growing number of multi-cultural and single parent families participating in the program.
A new passenger van was donated to the camp in 1973, and a new camp truck was purchased in 1974. New ceilings in the dining hall and lodge were added in 1977, as well as a new storage shed by the kitchen was constructed. In 1980, the camp kitchens were once again remodeled, followed by the renovations to the staff cabin in 1981.
Throughout Camp Icaghowan's history, programming and camp amenities have continued to evolve to meet the changing needs of the communities the YMCA Minneapolis serves. The camp remains a vital component to the YMCA Minneapolis organization.
Box 137 Annual Reports, 1966-1973.
Board Materials:
Box 137 Board, 1970-1980, 1995-1997. 2 folders.
Board Minutes, 1993-1995. 3 folders.
Board of Management, 1989-1996. 2 folders.
Box 111 Emily's Board Binder: Community Development Board, 2002-2004. 3 folders.
Box 49 Budget Hearing Materials, 1973.
Box 77 Camp Icaghowan, 1930.
Box 137 Camp Icaghowan Article, 1977.
Content Note: Article from the Chisago Pioneer about Camp Icaghowan in the 1920s
Campers:
Box 38 Campers, 1981-1987. 5 folders.
Campers Years Attended, 1910-1959. 2 folders.
Box 137 Camper Lists, 1928-1939.
Content Note: Lack 1934, 1936
Camper Lists, 1960-1967.
Content Note: Lack 1962
Box 138 Southeast Campers, 1926-1944.
Capital Campaigns:
Box 137 Capital Campaign, 1995.
Covenant with Tomorrow Capital Campaign, 1980. 2 folders.
Box 138 Y Partners, 2001.
Facilities:
Box 137 Architect, 1947-1949.
Building Specifications, 1947-1954. 2 folders.
Box 138 Historical Construction Minutes and Records, 1943-1949. 2 folders.
Maps and Property, 1940-1970.
Wallace Property Use Agreement, 1970s.
Box 137 Five Year Plan, 1989-1994.
Box 50 Hotel Register, 1919. 1 volume.
Box 137 Miscellaneous Historical Material, 1920s-1992. 2 folders.
Content Note: Includes Brochure, Articles, Newsletters, Scrapbooks Camp Icaghowan 1977, 1978 yearbook, Icaghowan booklet from 1957 (contains brief history, daily schedules), Icaghowan camp songs, brochure about the Sig Christensen Craft Building Dedication, Booklets created by camp staff from the 1920s
Box 56 Miscellaneous Historical Papers, 1955-1977.
Box 138 Song Manual Southeast Period, 1921.
Southeast Y's Men, 1947-1962.
Content Note: Lists of names
Staff:
Box 138 Staff Dinners and Reunions, 1970s.
Staff Records, 1963, 1966-1969.
Staff Records, 1970,1972-1974.
Staff Roster, 1948.
Summer Staff Positions, 1950-1960, 1970.
Union State Bank Account, 1960-1979.
Youth Citizen, 1970.


Camp Ihduhapi

Background Note: After an exhaustive search lasting almost a decade, in 1929 Camp Ihduhapi (EE-doo-hop-ee) - Lakota for "Independence" - was established on land purchased from Mrs. Annie Forbes. Totally 31.18 acres, the heavily wooded site located on Lake Independence had a 600-foot bathing beach. Camp Ihduhapi was located just 22 miles west of the Twin Cities in Loretto, Minnesota. Minneapolis community leaders, including George Nelson Dayton, and A.C. Andrews, who owned grain elevators and served as the chairman of the Boys' Work Committee for several years, were instrumental in the development of the camp. The committee worked closely with the Minneapolis boys' work secretary, Paul B, Bremicker, who made extensive studies of other modern camps across the U.S., and supervised the actual construction. Layout of the camp was planned carefully with the assistance of Charles H. Ramsdell, a local landscape architect.
Officially open on July 31, 1930, the camp was initially known as "Lake Independence Camp", a rustic experience designed for younger boys. Ihduhapi became the first fully winterized YMCA Minneapolis camp with a main lodge, 14 sleeping cabins, dining hall, caretaker cottage, and handicraft cabin, in addition to other buildings. The main lodge fireplaces consisted of rocks from over ten different Midwest states. Unlike the other Minneapolis YMCA camps which had to be retrofitted, Ihduhapi was constructed with a modern septic tank system, complete sewage, water and underground electric system all thoroughly approved by state inspectors prior to opening. This camp brought the YMCA Minneapolis yearly camper capacity to 300. During the early years, Camp Ihduhapi began to fulfill the need for year-round wilderness camping experiences. With weekend and overnight meetings after the close of the regular camping season, Camp Ihduhapi's all-year programming was a success. By 1939, a total of 889 summer campers, and 2,863 fall, winter, and spring campers were being served.
By 1947, a new health services building was erected. In 1962, a new waterfront building was given to the camp by the Grafil Club. Four Voyageur cabins were built from 1958-1965. The Camp Ihduhapi program was studied extensively from 1962-1965 with the involvement of Bobo Hardy from the metropolitan staff, and the camp director, Lyle Johnson. Through a survey of the camp site for future development and expansion possibilities, it was recommended that a new cabin unit be built to house another 60 people in five cabins. In 1965, renovations to the camp continued, with the building of a new older boys cabin, placement of all outdoor wiring underground, major landscaping and construction project, including a new stairway and walk from the waterfront up through the cabin area. 1965 was a record year for resident campers, with a new bike tripping program, 20-mile canoe trips, and work camper canoe trips on Canadian border lakes. In 1967, two new camper cabins were constructed, as well as the future of the camp, with plans were firmly established for Ihduhapi to serve equally as a summer boy's camp and a youth-oriented conference camp. Over 179 boys were served during the summer season at Camp Ihduhapi by 1969, from all over the metropolitan Minneapolis area. A significant change that year saw the camp counselors, over 40 in total, sending regular reports directly to parents on their campers, providing a more immediate assessment, rather than routing the reports through the respective branch. A camp office was permanently established on the grounds in 1969, as well as cabin and kitchen renovation and replacement. Through studying a camper telephone survey conducted in December 1969 and statistical material from the previous ten years, it was recognized that there was a "constant need for innovation to attract boys to the camp." It was determined that the camp explore opportunities of school camping and outdoor educational programs with Minneapolis and surrounding area schools, and recognized the need for a second staff person to serve as program director for the camp to conduct community outreach programming.
By 1970, the camp consisted of over 152 acres on the northwest shore of Lake Independence, including an island of approximately 20 acres in the northern portion of the lake. During the 1970 decade, girls were integrated into the Minneapolis YMCA Camp programs, "in order to meet the growing need for service to the total family." However, co-ed groups had long been using Ihduhapi during the other 40 weeks of the year when summer camp was not in session. Needed roof repairs were conducted in 1972. As a result of a $15 million capital campaign begun in late 1973, a remodel of the camp was undertaken, to modernize facilities and provide a better camping experience. The camp went from having individual long sessions, to one and two-week sessions only. In the summer of 1980, Camp Ihduhapi celebrated it's 50th year in operation, with an extensive weekend celebration at the camp, with former lay persons, staff, camper alumni and community leaders all participating. Additional renovations, including a new sewer system, were completed in 1981. Sports camps, including soccer wrestling, and volleyball, were scheduled simultaneously with regular camping sessions in 1981 so children could create their preferred experience.
By 1992, enrollment included 1,101 summer campers, grades 3-10; 10 teen-age Youth in Government participants; 11, 467 conference camp participants; 478 sustaining members, and 28,416 participant days. Camp facilities continued to be upgraded, with a major remodeling project completed on the Cedarblade Lodge, including new accessible entrances, and building foundation. A new pole barn was completed for the horse-riding program. Major work continued on a forest management project, done in conjunction with Twin Cities Tree Trust. Camp Ihduhapi continued to adapt to the needs of its communities with a variety of programs served through asthma camp, epilepsy camp, riding and sailing/windsurfing camps. The camp in 1992 qualified as an International YMCA, with staff from Jamaica, Spain,Sweden, and Jordan. In 1993, the board approved the starting up of an environmental education program, and an Ihduhapi Youth Group.
By 1995, the camp now at 175 acres of forest, bog, and prairie, developed an Adventure Learning Center, designed to provide programs that develop individual and group strengths, promote respect for self, others, and the environment, and help people develop self-confidence, motivation and other skills needed to succeed in school and life. The Adventure Learning Center included a 43-foot climbing tower designed to develop teamwork, as well as a High Ropes course, where participants move from platforms stationed 25 feet up in maple trees, using ropes and cables for balance. By 1996, Camp Ihduhapi offered youth programs, primarily after school youth sports, to the surrounding four school districts, including Buffalo, Delano, Rockford and Orono, Minnesota. In 1997, the new Metro Y's Men Welcome Center and bunk house were completed. The Bunk house was designed as a self-contained building housing 36 people, with indoor meeting space and bathrooms. In collaboration with Orono Community Education, it was possible that year to hire a 30-per week Youth Development Coordinator. By 1999, a Community Program Director was hired and Partners Across the Region (P.A.R. 5) was born, which allowed Ihduhapi to offer even more mentoring opportunities, programs for at-risk youth in the surrounding communities, summer day programs and special events held at camp such as the Egg Hunt and Open House for area businesses.
Camp Ihduhapi has remained a vital part of the YMCA Minneapolis tradition, devoted to providing the best experience for the young and first-time campers, as well as such specialty camps as sailing and horse camp. Well-trained staff led quality programs where campers have developed integrity, self-reliance and leadership skills, building life-long friendships and experiencing a sense of community through small age-appropriate, single-gender groups. The mission of Camp Ihduhapi continues to be "providing those experiences in group work context to help individuals grow, become more independent, increase self-confidence and self-esteem, with an emphasis on leadership development." In 2004, Camp Ihduhapi celebrated 75 years of camping traditions.
Box 138 75th Anniversary, 1963.
Board Materials:
Box 138 Board, 2003-2004.
Board Minutes, 1987-2002. 9 folders.
Box 56 Board of Management, 1990.
Box 138 Committee Minutes, 1953-1955.
Minutes and Miscellaneous, 1955-1958.
Box 77 Minutes, Plans, Reports, 1980-1999.
Box 49 Budget Hearing Materials, Camp Ihduhapi, 2004.
Box 129 Camp Scrapbook, 1973.
Capital Campaigns:
Box 138 Commitments to Values Capital Campaign, 1990-1995.
Covenant with Tomorrow Capital Campaign, 1980s.
Box 129 Miscellaneous, 2003-2008.
Box 138 Miscellaneous Capital Campaigns, 1970-1980s.
Box 130 Y Partners, 2000-2001. 2 folders.
Box 129 Y Partners Capital Campaign, 2002-2006.
Box 39 Leaders Manual - Leadership Training Conference Camp Ihduhapi, 2005. 4 folders.
Marketing:
Box 138 Advertising, 1994-2007. 2 folders.
Brochures, 1990-2000s.
Box 77 Miscellaneous, 1990-2004. 2 folders.
Box 129 Miscellaneous Reference Materials, 1945.
Northland Recreation Laboratory, 1960s.
"The Origin of Camp Ihduhapi" by Lyle Johnson, 1971.
Pecos River Contracts, 1991.
Box 138 Thank You Letters, 2003-2004. 5 folders.
Box 129 Tree Trust, 1996.
Vinland, 1990.
Box 130 Yearbook, 2005.


Camp Kici Yapi

Box 130 Amphitheater, Miscellaneous, 2004-2007.
Committee Rosters, 1966.
Director Positions, 1972.
Meeting Minutes, 1964-1970.
Miscellaneous, 1962-1970.
Physical Properties, 1969-1973.


Camp Manitou

Box 128 Miscellaneous Articles, 2003-2007.


Camp Menogyn

Background Note: In 1922, Camp Menogyn, Ojibwe for "to grow fully," was added to the YMCA Minneapolis camping program. Wilder than the Minneapolis YMCA's first camp, Camp Icaghowan, Menogyn was located 35 miles north of Grand Marais, Minnesota on West Bearskin Lake, and was designed for long-term camping experiences, and as a departure point for wilderness trips ranging form two to sixty days, with enrollment from all across the Minneapolis metro footprint. Camp Menogyn's purpose as envisioned by the organization was "to help people of all backgrounds to grow as mature as responsible individuals by exposing them to Christian principles, trained leadership, and wilderness experiences." The initial camp group built the first cabin on the property as part of their experience. The next two cabins were built in 1923, and 1924.
Camp Menogyn was closed for summer seasons in 1925 and 1926 due to lack of enrollment. O. R. Tripp, camp founder and director from 1921-1930, organized a special trip for YMCA branch secretaries, generating renewed enthusiasm for the camp and the potential positive impact on the camping program. The camp opened for six weeks for the 1927 summer season, and eleven weeks in the 1928 season.
In 1929, Camp Menogyn opened for the entire summer, with enrollment established by districts, each spending short periods there. By 1934, Camp Menogyn became a "post graduate camp," the only camp in the state of Minnesota to offer a wilderness experience to challenge older boys and young men. Because the camp was readily accessible to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and Quetico Provincial Park, the camp served as a base camp for extended wilderness trips. The rustic setting provided a wilderness experience for urban youth, complete with wildlife. Bears were a regular sight around camp, and for decades Menogyn campers could tell many a "bear story". In the early years, the camp had no electricity or propane gas. Log ice houses were built on the site, with huge blocks of ice cut in winter and used during the summer months. During warm weather, staff brought blocks of ice around camp to provide refrigeration, and on special occasions, ice chips to make homemade ice cream.
The camp moved to a new site in Cook County on the north shore of West Bearskin Lake on 35 acres in 1934. Containing a bluff overlooking three pine-covered islands, the site was more level and included two calm bays. The site was thought to have the necessary facilities for training campers before taking them out on more rugged wilderness canoe trips. This new site was purchased through a 1933 camping operations budget surplus and a generous donation from prominent Minneapolis lawyer and philanthropist Russell H. Bennett.
The summer of 1942 the camp did not operate, due to World War II gas rationing. From 1943 through 1945, the camp operated on a limited basis. But during the 1948 season, Camp Menogyn was enlarged and made more complete. The new camp was officially dedicated in August 1949. Menogyn was not accessible by any road; so in order to reach base camp, there was a 1.5 mile journey on an army engineer pontoon, known as "The Monster."
Camp Menogyn carried on experiments between 1950-1959 in work with the Junior Hi-Y boys, girls social groups, and extended stays as part of a continuing effort to meet the needs of young people searching for new challenges. Under Phil Brain, who served as Camp Director in 1940 and from 1949-1957, upgrades to the camp included: aluminum canoes; a new pontoon and a 18-foot boat for hauling; building the first sauna; a root cellar; and overseeing the establishment of a pre-fabricated guide's cabin along the lake. Equipment was always a need, with canoes, tents, air mattresses, and packsacks purchased between 1951-1954 as replacements. In 1954, a gas heating stove was added to the new staff cabin. The first girls group to take a wilderness trip out of Menogyn was during this time.
The fortieth anniversary of Camp Menogyn was recognized in 1962. The Anniversary celebration occurred on March 20, 1962 at the Downtown branch. Program highlights included an invocation from David Hamernick, member of the 1961-1962 guide staff, Jim Gilbert, camp director who provided a history; and several original campers and staffers provides reminisces. The camp served over 500 boys and girls from all over the upper Midwest, representing organizations such as the YMCA, YWCA, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts.
The old ice house was converted in 1964 to a "history house" and trip-planning room. In 1965 two A-frame buildings were built to provide in-camp housing for the ever-growing number of campers, under the supervision of Armond Paulson, Camp director from 1963-1967. New staff cabins on the north shore were constructed in 1966, and also winterized for potential winter programs. The cabins also provided additional space for staff quarters which allowed for the expansion of program camper groups going forward. In an effort to provide a wilderness experience to young men, the "Progressive program" was designed to attract older campers. A series of trips varying in length of time and distance were planned, including Hommes du Nord, Voyageur, and Norwesterner.
Always a concern for camps, safety became an even greater priority when in 1969, two campers drowned on Rainey Lake during a trip. Stricter safety guidelines were adopted and enforced by the organization in response to the first serious safety issue experienced at a Minneapolis YMCA-led camp.
The first co-ed camping group was taken to Camp Menogyn in 1968 by Gary Lewis, executive of several local branches during the 1960-1979 time period. Girls were integrated into the Minneapolis YMCA Camp programs during the decade of 1970-1979. "In order to meet the growing need for service to the total family", all camps except Kici Yapi, Ihduhapi, and Warren were now open to girls. Over the course of the decade, the remaining camps were also integrated. Under the leadership of Camp director Robert "Skip" Wilke from 1968-1982, the Progressive Camping Program became more formalized. Initially, a junior-high school camper was introduced to Menogyn through a 7 or 10-day session, returning for a 14 or 21-day session the second or third year, and eventually was invited on the longer trips involving extensive planning and exploring. Three levels of invitational canoe trips for men and women were designed, including Nor'Wester, Nishimaha, and Hommes du Nord for men; and Nor'Wester, Nishimaha, and Femmes du Nord for women. Climbing and rappelling were now also offered as an activity near the Menogyn campsite. A Work Camping program was developed during this time for older campers, allowing them the opportunity to work in camp and then join a camper group. Winter camping sessions of snowshoeing, skiing, and outdoor camping were established during Christmas and Easter holiday breaks. International campers were also welcomed at Menogyn, in cooperation with Rotary International and the American Association of Teachers of German.
The 1989 Femmes du Nord group, seven Minnesota women in all, had to adjust their trip and make an unexpected stop in Cross Lake, Manitoba due to encroaching forest fires which made headline news. Once the forest fires were under control, the group managed to take an alternative route and salvage their experience.
Progressive Camping continued to be a core program, and as of 1996, Camp Menogyn also offered 7- or 14-day rock climbing adventures, combining either canoeing, backpacking, or both with rock climbing.
Camp Menogyn remains a vital part of the YMCA Minneapolis tradition, and continues to provide a year-round wilderness experience for teens, families, and groups.
Box 133 40th Anniversary, 1962.
Box 130 70th Anniversary, 1992.
Board Materials:
Box 130 Annual Reports to General YMCA Board of Directors, 1938, 1966-1990.
Board Meeting, 1988, 1993. 2 folders.
Board Member Contact, 1980-1996.
Board Member Contact Committee, 1960-1970.
Board Rosters, 1970-1980.
Box 79 Committee Minutes, 1953-1955.
Box 131 Minutes and Reports, 1980-1989. 3 folders.
Box 49 Budget Hearing Materials, 1973.
Box 130 Bus Accident, 1972.
Calendars, 1985, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008.
Box 131 Camp Menogyn Emblem, 1950.
Camp Menogyn Logos, 1986.
Box 78 Camp Survey, 1989-1990.
Box 131 Camper Thank You Letters, 2004. 5 folders.
Canoe Trip Story Charles Anderson, 1964.
Capital Campaigns:
Box 130 Capital Campaigns, 1970-1990.
Capital Campaigns Request, 1990.
Box 78 Y Partners Campaign, 2002-2003. 3 folders.
Box 130 Cash Record, 1999. 2 folders.
Cookbooks Camp Menogyn, 1940-1969. 2 folders.
Box 79 Dedication, 1949.
Box 131 Dedication, 1949.
Emergency Log, undated.
Facilities:
Box 78 Boat House, 1981.
Building Committee, 1994. 3 folders.
Camper Cabins, 1967.
Dining Hall Construction, 1976.
Dining Hall Plans, 1978. 3 folders.
Getting a New Finn Bath Built, 1963.
Kitchen Project, 1968.
Menogyn Center Building Project, 1982.
Box 132 Operational Guidelines, Procedures, Inspections, Standards, 1977, 1980.
Box 131 Properties and Facilities Committee, 1986-1988.
Box 78 Staff Cabins, 1967.
Box 131 Groups, 1998. 3 folders.
Content Note: Contains information about agreements between Y branches and Camp Menogyn.
Box 78 History, 1921-1949.
Box 133 History and Evaluation, 1973, 1990, 1975.
Box 78 Impact Evaluation Study, 1985.
Box 131 Information Night, 1991.
Box 47 Insurance, Camp Theft, 1973.
Box 131 Long Range Plans, 1985-1994.
Marketing:
Box 130 Adult Brochures, 1983-1990.
Box 133 Brochures, 1990.
Box 130 Brochures, 1960-2000. 6 folders.
Family Brochures, 1979-1991.
Box 131 Newsletters, 1972-1997. 4 folders.
Box 128 Newsletters, 1976-1985. 3 folders.
Box 132 Newspaper Articles, Brochures, undated.
Summer Promotion, 1980-1989. 3 folders.
Box 131 Master Plan for YMCA Camp Menogyn, 1991.
Master Plan Study, 1974.
Medical Log, 1976-1982.
Miscellaneous, 1973-1977. 3 folders.
Miscellaneous Correspondence, 1970-1979.
Naturalist Department/Program, 1973-1982.
Content Note: Includes report about the 1982 Naturalist Program at Menogyn
"Nature At Menogyn", 1987.
Content Note: Handout on plant biology at Menogyn.
Box 130 Old Menogyn Contact Groups, 2004.
Box 132 Programs Logs, 1940-1960. 2 folders.
Reports, Summer and Annual, 1978-1982. 4 folders.
Resident Camp Study and Appraisal Report, 1987.
Reunions:
Box 78 Alumni Mailings, 1987-1992.
Box 132 Alumni Miscellaneous, 1960-1969.
Box 78 Alumni News, 1993.
Box 132 Christmas Reunions, 1976-1985. 12 folders.
Box 131 "Moosemilker", Correspondence, Etc., 1960-1969.
Box 78 Reunions, 1968-1975. 8 folders.
Rosters:
Box 132 Board, Staff, Camper Rosters, 1970,1972-1980.
Box 78 Camper Rosters Summer Camp, 1980-1996. 2 folders.
Box 132 Project Campers List, 1958-1959.
Staff Rosters, 1950-1999. 5 folders.
Scrapbooks:
Box 78 Camp Scrapbook, 2004. 4 folders.
Year Books, 1982-1984. 2 folders.
Song Books, 1973.
Staff:
Box 132 Applications, 1953.
Staff Biographies, 2002-2005.
Box 133 Staff Manual, Endowment Fund, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2004.
Box 132 Staff Recommendations, 1952.
Box 131 Staff Training Handouts, Manual, Etc., 1975.
Box 133 Staff Training Manual, 1980-1982. 3 folders.
Box 78 Stock, 1981.
Testimonials from Campers, undated.
Tragedy on Rainy Lake Trip, 1965.
Content Note: On August 7, 1969, two campers drowned on a 20-day canoe trip on Rainy Lake in Ontario, Canada.
Box 137 Voyageur Program Manuals, 1980. 3 folders.
Wilderness Trips:
Box 133 Beartooth Trip, 1986.
Big Bend Trip, 1984, 1987. 2 folders.
Canyonlands Trip, 1984-1986. 3 folders.
Long Trips, 1997. 2 folders.
Planning Booklet Information for Summer Trips, 1976-1995.
Wilderness Adventures, 1994. 3 folders.
Box 79 Wilderness Adventures, 1994.
Box 133 Yellowstone Trip, 1985-1986. 2 folders.
Box 78 Worship Service, 1954.


Camp Streefland

Box 133 Miscellaneous, 2004-2007.


Camp Tamarac

Box 84 A Tamarac Smile, the Tamarac Spirit, The Tamarac Story , 1974. 1 volume.
Box 137 Sickness and Accident Reports, 1973-1974. 2 folders.


Camp Warren

Background Note: In 1927, Camp Warren was purchased through the generous Dayton Endowment, including two hundred acres of virgin timberland near Eveleth, Minnesota, near Half Moon and Pleasant Lakes. The property was purchased from a Mrs. O. B. Warren and the camp was named on behalf of her husband. Six cabins were initially built on the property to provide overflow from Camp Icaghowan, and the new camp was filled to capacity from the very first year, 1928.
Officially dedicated on July 8, 1929, Camp Warren provided activities such as canoeing, backpacking, horseback riding, tennis, sailing, and group sports. A long-term facility with four or eight week periods, Camp Warren served the entire metropolitan area, focusing on leadership development in a long-term camp setting. If campers wished for a continued wilderness experience, it was hoped that a traditional and consistent environment at Camp Warren could provide the opportunity to build upon existing knowledge and skills.
Starting in 1929 under Camp Director John Rowe, emphasis on the importance of the staff in providing the best camping experience was highlighted. Camp Warren's goals "depend on many factors, the most important being the influence of the cabin counselor in collaboration with other staff members in all camp activities." Group athletics during this time had a strong influence on camp life. Developing a fruit and vegetable garden, camp counselors taught urban kids how to cultivate, harvest, and clean fresh produce to be used in the general camp meals. During the Rowe years, attendance remained at capacity and beyond, with return rates so high that space had to be reserved some seasons to accommodate new campers. John Rowe served as director for 33 of the first 43 years of Camp Warren.
Due to the interest of boys younger than 10, the age limit set at Camp Warren upon the opening of the camp in 1928, in the summer of 1936 a Cub Camp was established, and eight log cabins were built to scale for the purpose. During World War II, some of the staff and older campers were trained in fire prevention, thus adding to the leadership opportunities at Camp Warren. As natural resources were needed for the war effort, in 1942 the Superior National Forest Rangers with help from the older campers surveyed the surrounding land, selecting trees to be processed.
In 1954, the rebuilding of the caretaker's cabin was completed, as well as the establishment of the Ervin Memorial Rifle Range. Self-sustaining through registration and activity fees, Camp Warren also benefitted from a strong community of giving from other organizations, individuals, and parents, including cash, sailboats and supplies, and horses for the horseback riding program in the 1954 season. A fund-raising campaign in 1956 allowed for the lodge basement rebuilding, an addition to the kitchen, new porch floors for the six intermediate cabins, and improvements to the electrical system.
During the social upheaval of the 1960-1970 decade, the YMCA struggled to create programming that still resonated with young people. Upon the transition to Camp Director Robert Telleen, a review of the facilities and programs was conducted in 1969-1970, to refresh the camping experience for the teens of the counter-culture revolution. Telleen believed that individualizing the camping experience through an extended stay was one of the basic strengths of the YMCA camping programs. Camp Warren also struggled during this time, to "maintain these strong, basic principles into a philosophy and program which will be meaningful to today and tomorrow's 'urban-oriented' camp in a way which does not merely bring the city into camp but helps prepare the campers for a better relation to and involvement with an urbanized society", according to Telleen. Integrating more diversity into Camp Warren's constituency with few scholarships to offer was a growing concern, as the majority of campers historically came from high middle to upper income families. Finding appropriate camp staff also became more difficult, due to the variety of options afforded to college and graduate students usually tapped for such an assignment.
By 1969, Camp Warren offered canoe trips, horseback riding, tennis, athletics, photography, sailing, arts and crafts, drama, archery, shooting, boating, fishing, swimming, leadership training, international camper exchange, life saving, and field trips. The question of updating facilities at the current camp location, maintaining the current camp while creating a satellite camp further into the wilderness, or moving to a new location altogether was thoroughly reviewed during long-range planning for Camp Warren in 1970-1972. Several changes within the area occurred during this time to warrant the discussion, such as select portions of land along Half Moon Lake coming up for sale. With encroaching development, it was speculated that the current Camp Warren site would no longer be unable to provide the same wilderness experience it had provided to so many campers throughout its history. In 1972, Camp Warren served some 500-600 people, but by 1976, the camp had served over 1,300 through major increases in the Fall-Winter-Spring program, family camp, father-son weekends, and "girls weekends".
David Silha, a Camp Warren camper for 8 years, a counselor, and finally served as Director of the Canoe tripping program in 1973, was lost in an avalanche while climbing in the Grand Teton mountains of Wyoming in early 1974. In remembrance and celebration of his life, family, friends, and the camp created the David Silha Center for Outdoor Discovery and established a fund for the creation and continuation of extended-trip programs through Camp Warren. By 1976, the Lake Superior/Apostle Islands sailing program offered to train older campers to crew and skipper a deep water cruising sailboat as well as provide a close quarters living situation that requires teamwork and cooperation. In 1977, Camp Warren celebrated its 50th anniversary and a record season for enrollment.
The first ever Warren Women's wilderness canoe trip occurred in 1984. The YMCA World Camp program celebrated 100 years in 1985, with 50 US and 50 campers from around the rest of world spending a day at Camp Warren before journeying north. Camp Warren remained a segregated camp, with both girls' and boys' sessions run separately to allow campers to more easily relate to each other and share experiences without many of the social pressures of daily teen life. As of 1994, the camp was organized into three sections, so each section had its own lodge, dining hall, evening and bedtime programming to provide a blend of programming and interaction between campers of various ages as well as a small, medium and large group experiences. The three sessions included: Cub session for campers from 8 to 11 years, the Intermediate section for campers from 11 to 14 years, and the Senior section for campers ranging from 14 to 16 years. In 1998, the first ever week-long Project Camp WWW program was established, under Bruce Konkler, Project Director. The WWW stood for "Warren Work Week", where former Warren campers over age 16 were invited to contribute to the improvement of the camp through various special projects. Family camping during long holiday weekends throughout the year became a large draw for Camp Warren. In 2001, new camper cabins were constructed attached to the existing six cub cabins already on-site.
In 2002, Camp Warren celebrated 75 years of life-changing experiences. Over 480 acres, Camp Warren remains a vital part of the YMCA Minneapolis tradition.
Box 136 Activities, undated.
Box 133 Alumni Association, 1960-1990.
Board Materials:
Box 133 Board Meetings, 1972. 2 folders.
Box 134 Board Minutes, 1994-1995. 2 folders.
Box 139 Board of Directors, 1998.
Board of Management, 1988.
Box 134 Board of Management, 1972-1996. 6 folders.
Box 139 Board of Management, 1985.
Board of Management, Inventories, 1984.
Board of Management; Agendas, Notes, 2000-2004.
Box 134 Committee Minutes, 1940-1964. 5 folders.
Box 139 Committees, 1970-1972. 3 folders.
Contact information, 1997.
Box 135 Minutes, 1957-1958.
Box 134 Miscellaneous Board Materials, 1985-1986.
Budget:
Box 136 Budget and Finance, 1972. 2 folders.
Box 49 Budget Hearing Materials, 1973.
Box 136 Fee Records, 1940-1960.
Financial Development, 1972-1976. 2 folders.
Box 77 Payroll, 1960-1973.
Box 79 Purchase Orders, 1945-1974. 9 folders.
Camp Information Requested, 1970-1973.
Box 139 Camp Study, 1999.
Box 136 Camper Admissions, 1972.
Box 134 Camper Inquiries, 1970.
Camper List, 1939.
Box 136 Camping Standards, 1966-1968. 2 folders.
Capital Campaigns:
Box 139 Campaign, 2003. 2 folders.
Campaign Plan and Statistics, 2003.
Box 136 Campaign Prospects, undated.
Box 135 Capital Campaign, 1995. 4 folders.
Box 136 Capital Campaign, 1976. 3 folders.
Capital Fund Campaign, 1962, 1976. 2 folders.
Endowment, 1972. 2 folders.
Box 139 Fundraising, 2002.
Fundraising Solicitation Samples, 2004.
Y Partners, 2002.
Box 134 Conservation, 1947-1960.
Correspondence, 1950-1970.
Box 135 David Silha Trips, 1975.
Box 134 Emblems, 1940-1960.
Box 135 Europe Trip, 1986.
Box 134 Evaluations, 1930-1969.
Facilities:
Box 139 Buildings and Grounds, 1970-1972.
Box 134 Cub Lodge, 1961-1962.
Box 139 Furnace Resident Manager's Home, 1946-1948.
Horse Barn, 1966.
Kitchen Equipment, 1940-1959.
Box 79 Light, Power, and Gas, 1929-1963.
Loan, 1968-1969.
Lodge, Library Projects, 1960.
Organ (Electric), undated.
Outboard Motor, 1960-1965.
Box 136 Yacht Policy Office Copy, 1971.
Box 134 Game and Fish, 1950-1979.
Box 79 Instructions for Office Secretary, 1967-1973.
Insurance, 1968-1977. 3 folders.
Box 135 Insurance, 1961-1972.
Box 56 Investigation, 2010.
Box 134 Long Range Planning, 1969, 1972. 2 folders.
Marketing and Communications:
Box 134 Brochures, 1990-2009.
Box 136 Camp Warren Newsenpopple, 1930-1969.
Box 79 Local Contacts, 1961-1969.
Box 139 Marketing, 2000s. 2 folders.
Box 56 Marketing and Public Relations, 1930-1970.
Box 79 Marketing and Public Relations, 1938-1966.
Box 56 Newsletter Materials, 1950.
Box 135 Promotion, 1930-1960, 1973. 3 folders.
Box 134 Minnesota Department of Health, 1940-1960. 3 folders.
Box 79 Minority Groups, 1969.
Miscellaneous, 1972. 2 folders.
Box 134 Miscellaneous, 1940-1961.
Box 135 Miscellaneous, 1980-1990.
Box 79 Miscellaneous, Photos and Ephemera, 1950-1969.
Box 136 Miscellaneous, Policies and Songs, undated.
Box 79 National Council YMCA, 1967-1969.
Box 135 National Council YMCA Statistics, 1965-1968.
Box 79 North Central Area Council, 1968-1969.
Box 135 Parent and Camper Instructions, 1950.
Box 139 Program Schedules, 1970-1979.
Box 135 Programs, 1972. 2 folders.
Box 136 Prospects, 1960. 3 folders.
Reunions, 1930-1969. 4 folders.
Rochester Prospects, 1960.
Box 135 Scholarship, 1940-1960. 2 folders.
Scrapbook Camp Center Version, 2003-2005.
Box 136 Song List, undated.
Box 135 Special Events, 1930-1969. 3 folders.
Staff:
Box 79 Kitchen Staff, 1957-1969.
Box 136 Personnel, 1972.
Box 139 Staff, 1998.
Box 136 Staff Committee Recognition, 1965-1969.
Box 139 Staff Manual, 1989.
Box 56 Staff Meetings and Development, 1938-1964.
Box 139 Staff Training Week, 1989.
Box 136 Time Sheets, 2002.
Box 135 Statistics, 1930-1968. 3 folders.
Box 136 Sustaining Members, undated.
Box 135 Thank You Letters, 2002-2004. 3 folders.
Trail Articles, 1971.



RELATED MATERIALS

See also the General Administrative Records and the Publications and Ephemera Records of the YMCA of Metropolitan Minneapolis, separately catalogued in the Kautz Family YMCA Archives.


INDEX TERMS

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of the University of Minnesota Libraries. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons or places should search the catalog using these headings.
Topics:
Camping -- History -- Minnesota.
Camps -- Management.
Day camps.
Young Men's Christian associations -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
Places:
Minneapolis (Minn.).
Organizations:
Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Minneapolis.
Young Men's Christian Association of the City of Minneapolis.
Occupations:
Camp counselors.