YMCA Archives Logo
318 Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, 222 21st Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55455

YMCA OF METROPOLITAN MINNEAPOLIS BRANCHES:
An Inventory of their Records


TABLE OF CONTENTS
Contents Summary/Organization | Administrative/Access Info | Contents Details | Related Materials | Indexed Terms/Access Points


OVERVIEW OF THE COLLECTION

Creator: Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Minneapolis
Title: Branch records
Date: 1907-2011 (bulk 1970-1999)
Collection Number: Y.MPL.004
Abstract: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the YMCA of Metropolitan Minneapolis branch system at the individual branch level. Available records include committee minutes, financial records, campaigns, programs, and marketing materials.
Quantity: 35 cubic feet (35 boxes)
Location: See Detailed Description section for box listing.


KEY DATES AND LOCATIONS IN THE HISTORY OF THE YMCA MINNEAPOLIS BRANCHES

1866 The YMCA offices are first located in the Center Block building at Intersection of Hennepin and Nicollet Avenues (assembly and meeting rooms).
1877-1888 Market Hall building on Bridge Square; Hennepin Avenue and N. First Street (auditorium and club rooms).
1883 Syndicate Block building on Nicollet Avenue between 5th and 6th Streets (meeting rooms). Market Hall lease continues to 1888 -- then referred to as "Bridge Square Branch".
1883 Bridge Square branch established, but religious work continued in the Market Hall Building.
1886 Eastside branch is established in a rented room in Chute Block; corner of Central and University Avenues (Bible classes and reading). Branch suspended in 1887.
1887 Twenty-Sixth Street Branch is established at the corner of 26th Street and Nicollet Avenue (suite of rooms for meetings and reading). Branch discontinues when new Central Building was occupied.
1887 University YMCA is organized as an independent Association. Offices located in a house on 13th Avenue S.E.
1889 Norwegian branch is organized. Location unknown. Operates for one year.
1892 Central branch is established at 10th Street and Mary Place (now LaSalle Avenue). Full facility and residence.
1912 Southeast branch is established in Tuttle School building, corner of 14th Avenue and Talmadge Street S.E.
1915 Southtown branch is organized. Offices at 27th Avenue and E. Lake Street. Programs prior to 1915 were organized from the Central branch.
1917 University of Minnesota YMCA joins the Minneapolis YMCA organization.
1919 Central/Downtown branch moves to a new building at 9th and Mary Place (now LaSalle Avenue). Full facility and residence.
1919 Northeast branch is organized. Offices located in the Knapp Building, 2337 Central Avenue N.E.
1919 Northside branch is organized. Offices at 1103 - 20th Avenue N.
1919 West Lake branch is organized. Offices located in the Carville Building at 26 W. Lake Street. First programs for the district were organized from the Central Branch beginning in 1915.
1923 University branch moves to the New Student Program building. 1425 University Avenue S.E.
1937 South Central branch is established. Offices at 26 W. Lake Street.
1937 Roosevelt branch is organized. Offices at 2723 E. 38th Street.
1937 Washburn branch is organized. Offices at 4804 Nicollet Avenue S.
1939 Northside branch is established. Community building opens at 3300 Penn Avenue N.
1950 Roosevelt branch community building opens at 4100 - 28th Avenue S.
1951 Southtown branch community building opens at 1845 E. Lake Street.
1951 Washburn branch community building opens at 4816 Nicollet Avenue S.
1952 Northeast branch community building opens at 2304 Jackson Street N.E.
1954 South Central branch changes name to West Central branch.
1957 Washburn branch changes name to Washburn-Richfield branch.
1958 Minnetonka branch is organized. Offices located at 401 E. Lake Street, Wayzata.
1960 Northeast and Southeast branches merge to become Eastside branch.
1960 West Central branch community building opens at 3335 Blaisdell Avenue S.
1963 Washburn-Richfield branch changes name to Washburn-Richfield-Bloomington branch.
1964 Roosevelt and Southtown branches merge to become Hiawatha branch.
1969 Minnesota Valley branch is established. Offices located at 9050 Lyndale Avenue S. in Bloomington.
1969 West Lake and Minnetonka branches are reorganized to become West Suburban Family branch. Offices located at 1400 Fairfield Road, Minnetonka.
1969 Washburn-Richfield-Bloomington branch changes name to Southdale branch.
1970 Urban department and West Central branch combine to become Urban/West Central branch.
1973 Northside branch becomes Northwest branch. Suburban office/community program located at 4205 Winnetka Avenue N. in New Hope.
1974 North Community branch is established. Full facility
1975 Southdale branch full facility building opens at 7355 York Avenue S. in Edina.
1977 Northwest branch full facility building opens at 7601 42nd Avenue N. in New Hope.
1980 Eastside branch name changes to Northeast branch.
1980 West Suburban branch full facility building opens at 12301 Ridgedale Drive in Minnetonka.
1983 West Suburban branch name changes to Ridgedale branch.
1984 Urban/West Central branch name changes to Blaisdell branch.
1990 Downtown branch full facility building opens at 30 S. Ninth Street in downtown Minneapolis.
1995 Northeast branch name changes to Emma B. Howe Northeast Family YMCA. New community building opens on existing site at 2304 Jackson Street N.E.
1995 Blaisdell branch adds extensive addition to make a full facility building at present site, 3335 Blaisdell Avenue S.
1996 Emma B. Howe Family Branch Northtown full facility building opens at 8950 Springbrook Drive N. W., Coon Rapids.
1997 Minnesota Valley branch full facility building opens at Portland Avenue S., Burnsville.
2000 University branch moves to a new building at 1801 University Avenue S.E.
2005 Andover YMCA Community Center full facility building opens at 15220 Hanson Boulevard, Andover.
2008 Elk River branch full facility building opens at 13337 Business Center Drive NW, Elk River.

(Information taken from Breaking New Ground, Building Strong Lives: 140 Years of Youth Work with the Minneapolis YMCA by Paul Hillmer, 2006; from Builders of Men: A History of the Minneapolis Young Men's Christian Association: 1866-1936 by S. Wirt Wiley and Florence Lehmann; and from the collection).



SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION

Branch-specific administration, correspondence, reports, financial records, programs, memoranda, articles, newspapers, pamphlets, photographs, scrapbooks, and other records documenting the programs devoted to the evolution of the branches in the Minneapolis YMCA, covering the years of 1907 to 2011, with the bulk of the material ranging from 1970-1999. While most branches are represented by records, the scope and thoroughness of those records vary greatly between branches.



ORGANIZATION/ARRANGEMENT OF THE RECORDS

These documents are organized into the following sections:
Administrative and General Branch Records
Blaisdell Branch Records
Downtown Branch Records
Eastside Branch Records
Hiawatha Branch Records
Minnetonka Branch Records
MN Valley Branch Records
North Side Branch Records
Northeast Branch Records
Northwest Branch Records
Ridgedale Branch Records
Roosevelt Branch Records
South Central Branch Records
South Town Branch Records
Southdale Branch Records
Southeast Branch Records
University of Minnesota Branch Records
Washburn Branch Records
West Central Branch Records
West Lake Branch Records
West Suburban Branch Records


ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

Use of Materials:
This collection is protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright, ownership, and to obtain all the necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials.
Preferred Citation:
[Indicate the cited item and/or series here]Branch Records. Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Minneapolis. Kautz Family YMCA Archives. University of Minnesota.
See the Chicago Manual of Style for additional examples.
Processing Information:
Processed by: Jesse Harpestad and Kathryn Oosterhuis, May 2012.
Catalog Record ID number: 6443886


DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE COLLECTION

Note to Researchers: Please see the separate inventories for the individual series listed below for more detailed information on the contents of each box.

Administrative and General Branch Records

Box 31 Affiliate boards manual, undated.
Annual support campaign, 1997.
Branch budgets, 1972.
Box 32 Branch location histories, 1866-2000. 9 folders.
Branch location history, timeline, 1866-2000. 5 folders.
Branch work, foreign work, 1907.
Branches and other YMCAs, 1973.
Budget analysis by branch, 1973.
Coleman company, correspondence, 1987.
Box 32 Dayton Hudson Foundation, 1993.
Box 32 Depawn community service programs, 1986.
Elk River branch, plans, 2006.
Box 33 Endowment record, 1986. 3 folders.
Evaluations, 1992.
Historical list of metro liaisons and contributions, 1984-1995.
KKE Architects meeting, 2007.
League of woman voters, 1993.
Minnesota food share, 1987.
Minnesota medical alley association, 1987.
Minnesota union programs, undated.
Mona, Meyer, and McGrath, undated.
Multiresource Center Incorporated, undated.
National City bank, undated.
North Central area, survey report, 1958-1959.
North Central branch, physical education, undated.
Overseas development network, undated.
Old branch board rosters, 1970-1983.
Content Note: Includes multiple branch board rosters.
Sagamore, spring supplement, 1980.
Seminar bibliography, undated.
Seminar readings, undated.
West Lake branch general file, 1919-1957.
Worthington Minnesota, survey report, 1950.


Blaisdell Branch

Background Note: The Blaisdell branch was established in 1984, as a name change for the existing Urban/West Central branch. The Blaisdell branch was home to several unique programs, including in 1984 "Family Time," which later becomes known as "Home Team," as a way to assist the at-risk population of low-income single parents in the South Minneapolis community. In 1985, a component for multicultural families and single women raising biracial children was added. Support groups for children and their mothers, workshops and social activities were created, as well as a single parent family camp at YMCA Camp Ihduhapi. In 1989, another new youth program was launched in conjunction with the North Community branch, modeled after other programs by the YMCA Houston and Harlem. The "Black Achievers" program identifies successful African Americans in the community and asked them to serve as role models and mentors for inner city students, to help develop talent and leadership potential, with a strong focus on future educational and career opportunities. Due to the success of the program, similar programs for other youth of color were developed, leading to the "Multicultural Achievers." In 1995, there was an extensive addition designed to make a fully-operational facility, including exercise classes, basketball courts, indoor pool and whirlpool, track, free weights and exercise machines, child care, personal training, and yoga studio, at the existing site at 3335 Blaisdell Avenue South, Minneapolis.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Blaisdell branch, including finances, redevelopment and remodeling of the facility.
Box 34 Annual budget, 1996.
Annual meeting, 1995-1996, 2001. 2 folders.
Annual support campaign, staff contributions, 1994.
Board information, 2001.
Board meetings. 2003. 3 folders.
Board of management, 1973.
Budget analysis by branch, 1992-1996.
Board selection, 1999.
Land purchase, 1997.
Redevelopment:
Box 34 Architectural plans, undated. 2 volumes.
Expansion project, 2004.
Redevelopment, 1994.
Redevelopment, environmental report, 1994. 2 folders.
Remodeling, 2004.
Remodeling, proposals, 2002.
Staff meeting minutes, 1990-1992.


Downtown Branch

Background Note: The very first branch, Central/Downtown, was established in 1866, located in rented rooms of the Center Block building on Bridge Square on the Hennepin Avenue side, with assembly and reading rooms. In 1868, the branch moved to the Center Block building on the Nicollet Avenue side, and remained there until 1877, where space was rented in Market Hall, on the corner of Hennepin Avenue and First Street North. Leased for 10 years, the space maintained committee and reading rooms, an auditorium, and a parlor. In 1883, the branch relocated to the Syndicate Block building on Nicollet Avenue, between 5th and 6th streets. In 1892, known as the Central branch, the first YMCA-owned building is erected, at 10th and Mary Place (now LaSalle Avenue), a full facility and residence. In 1919, the branch moved to 9th and Mary Place (now LaSalle Avenue) into another YMCA-owned building. It served as a full facility and residence, and contains 12 stories, six bowling alleys, billiards rooms, library, social and game rooms, gym with gallery, an auxiliary gym, pool, showers and locker rooms, four handball courts, individual exercise rooms, boxing and wrestling room, cafeteria, banquet room, 250-room dormitory, and two floors of classrooms. The building dedication was held on February 12, 1919, with former President William Howard Taft giving the dedicatory address. Renovations occurred over the years, but the location remained a vibrant facility until 1990, when a new full facility building opened at 30 S. Ninth Street.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Downtown branch, including finances, remodeling of the facility and staff development.
Box 34 Accident reports, 1970-1972.
Accounting department, correspondence, 1970.
Board of Education rental, 1971.
Budget hearing, 1973.
Building project, 1980-1989.
Cash loss audit. 1972.
Committee of management minutes, 1915-1963. 7 folders.
Box 35 Cost summary, 1963.
Food service management agreement, 1972.
Furnishings, air conditioners,1969.
Miscellaneous, 1991, 2006.
Content Note: Contains miscellaneous annual reports, Y-Men's Club, and newsletters.
Staff:
Box 35 Staff meeting, minutes, 1946-1952.
Staff memos, business office coverage, 1951-1953.
Staff memos, general, 1948-1955.
Youth work, detached work, 1960-1969.


Eastside Branch

Background Note: The name Eastside returned to the YMCA Minneapolis in 1960, when the Northeast and Southeast branches merged to become the Eastside branch. The Northeast branch was established in 1919, with offices located in the Knapp Building at 2337 Central Avenue N.E. The Southeast branch was established in 1912, in the Tuttle School building on the corner of 14th Avenue and Talmadge Street S.E.
In 1980, the Eastside branch had a name change to the Northeast branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Eastside branch, including management materials, and capital campaigns. The bulk of the material covers the years 1973-1977.
Box 35 Board of management, 1977-1980. 3 folders.
Board of managers, 1970-1976. 6 folders.
Budget hearing, 1973.
Capital campaign, 1973-1977. 8 folders.
General minutes, 1970.
Program and facility planning report for the "Roaring Seventies and Beyond", 1970.


Hiawatha Branch

Background Note: The Hiawatha branch was established in 1964, the result of a merge of the South Town (established in 1915 at 27th Avenue and East Lake Street, with programs prior to 1915 organized out of the Central branch; moved to 1845 E. Lake Street in 1951) and the Roosevelt (established 1937 at 2723 E. 38th Street, moving to 4100 28th Avenue S. in 1950) branches. One of the major long-standing traditions for over 40 years, the Hiawatha Branch in conjunction with Roosevelt High School, conducted the "Operation Holiday Basket" community service project. The program was developed by Freeman "Mac" McInroy, retired Roosevelt teacher and coach, and Gary Lewis. Area schools conducted food drives, with volunteers from the Roosevelt High School (and other service organizations within the Twin Cities) putting baskets of food together for distribution to low-income families within the community.
In 1988, the Hiawatha branch expanded its programing to include teen mothers and their children. The program brought teen mothers and their children together for social time, day care, support, and helped the young women stay in school without sacrificing good care for their children. The program was eventually transitions to the Downtown branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Hiawatha branch, established in 1964, the result of a merge of the South Town (established in 1915) and the Roosevelt (established 1937) branches. Available records include minutes, financial records, programs, marketing materials, membership lists, and reports from 1964 to 2001. The bulk of the material covers 1970-1979.
Box 36 Annual support campaign, 1992.
Annual support campaign, 2001.
Attendance statistics, 1995.
Board assessment, 2000.
Board of management, 1971-1977. 6 folders.
Board of management, finances, 1975. 2 folders.
Budget hearing material, 1973.
Capital campaign, 1972-1973.
Detached worker forms, 1994.
Development committee, 1969.
Finances, 1964, 1969. 3 folders.
Box 36 Financial statements, 1978.
Gary Lewis file, 1970-1973. 4 folders.
Box 36 General minutes, 1970.
Home Team program, 1994.
Box 36 Insurance, 1964, 1969.
Box 36 "Janet", 1968-1970.
Box 36 List of pledge givers, 2000.
Box 36 Membership and finances, 1970.
Box 37 Miscellaneous notebooks, 1976-1978. 2 volumes.
Miscellaneous, 1990.
Newsletters, 1974-1989. 2 folders.
Nokomis Days, 1998-1999. 2 folders.
Box 37 Orientation booklet, undated.
Pamphlets asking for donations, undated.
Promotion resources, 1977. 1 volume.
Box 37 Remodel, 2000.
Scholarships, 1993-1995. 3 folders.
Staff roster, 1999.
Sustaining membership materials, 1969-1976. 7 folders.
Sustaining Membership, 1992.
Urban West Central branch, general file, 1976.


Minnetonka Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1958, located at 401 E. Lake Street, Wayzata, Minnesota, until 1969, when it merged with the West Lake branch and reorganized to become the West Suburban Family branch, located at 1400 Fairfield Road, Minnetonka.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Minnetonka Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis, and includes materials on studies conducted on the branch's behalf between 1953-1963.
Box 37 Committee of management study, minutes, 1953-1963.
Developmental study, 1963.


Minnesota Valley Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1969, located at 9050 Lyndale Avenue South in Bloomington, as a community program office. The branch originated as a program office of the Washburn-Richfield-Bloomington branch. In 1974, offices moved to 720 W. 94th Street in Bloomington. In 1976, offices moved to 8200 Humboldt Avenue S. and in 1978, the branch offices relocated to a YMCA-owned house located at 3300 W. 98th Street in Bloomington, Minnesota. In 1984, offices relocated to 401 W. 86th Street, in Bloomington, and in 1992, moved to 14101 Fairview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota. In 1997, a full facility building opened at 13850 Portland Avenue S. in Burnsville, Minnesota.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Minnesota Valley branch of the YMCA Minneapolis, and includes branch management meeting minutes, the "Light Up a Life" program, and miscellaneous materials.
Box 37 Board of management meeting minutes, 1970.
Budget hearing material, 1973.
Light Up a Life program, 1991.
Box 38 Miscellaneous general file, 1957, 1970-1979.


North Side Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1919, located at 1103 13th Avenue North, until 1939, when it moved to 3300 Penn Avenue North. In 1973, the branch changed names to become the Northwest branch, moving to a new location of 4205 Winnetka Avenue North.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the North Side branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Available records include board and committee minutes, building records, and reports from 1919 to 1981.
Box 38 Board of management minutes, 1919-1981. 18 folders.
Budget hearing material, 1973.
Building, 1939-1940.
Building lot, 1934, 1940.
Capital fund campaign, 1946.
Committee of management minutes, 1919-1973. 10 folders.
Box 39 Committee of management minutes, 1919-1973. 4 folders.
Miscellaneous, 1970-1972.
Reports, 1919-1946.
Site selection, 1972-1973.


Northeast Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1919, one of the original six district branches, located in the Knapp building at 2337 Central Avenue N.E. Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1952, the Northeast branch moved to 2304 Jackson Avenue N.E. until 1960, when it merged with the Southeast branch to become the Eastside branch. In 1980, the Eastside branch transitioned its name back to the Northeast branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Northeast branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Available records include management meeting minutes, reports, facility issues, and miscellaneous branch information are included.
Box 39 Board of management minutes, 1980-1981.
Branch minutes, 1960-1963.
Building, 1940-1959.
Committee of management minutes, 1919-1957. 4 folders.
General file, 1919-1959.
Reports, 1919-1946. 3 folders.


Northwest Branch

Background Note: The Northwest branch was established in 1973, when the Northside branch was renamed, with offices at 4205 Winnetka Avenue North in New Hope, Minnesota. In 1977, the Northwest branch expanded to a full facility building and moved to 7601 42nd Avenue North in New Hope, Minnesota.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Northwest branch of the YMCA Minneapolis, including board management materials, capital campaigns, and miscellaneous branch administration. The bulk of the material covers the years between 1974-1982.
Box 39 Board of management, 1974-1982. 10 folders.
Box 40 Board of management, 1974-1982. 11 folders.
Capital campaign, 1981.
General file, 1975-1976.
Playground project grant, 2007.


Ridgedale Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1983, as a name change for the West Suburban branch, a full-facility building located at 12301 Ridgedale Drive in Minnetonka, Minnesota. This was a name change only, with no location or facility changes.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Ridgedale branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Materials include meeting minutes, general branch information, marketing, newspaper articles, events, and camping administration. The bulk of the materials cover 1973-1979.
Box 40 Branch leases, 1972-1975.
Camp Christmas Tree, undated.
Community board meeting minutes, 2005-2009.
Firearm safety class, 1978.
General branch information, 1983-1984. 2 folders.
Insurance forms for E-camp, 1975.
Newspaper articles, 1979.
Opening of facility, 1980.
Promotions and brochures, undated.
Van operation log, 1973.
Walk for Mankind event, 1975.


Roosevelt Branch

Background Note: The branch was organized in 1937, located at 2723 E. 38th Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota until 1950. In 1950, the branch relocated to 4100 28th Avenue South, until 1964, when it merged with the Southtown branch to become the Hiawatha branch. The Roosevelt area community had a long history with the YMCA prior to the establishment of an actual branch location. Roosevelt was one of the five original Minneapolis high schools that had an established Hi-Y program since 1909.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Roosevelt branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Materials include meeting minutes, general correspondence, marketing, and renovations. The bulk of the materials cover 1950-1960.
Box 40 Building plans correspondence, 1956-1963.
Committee of management members, 1949-1960.
Committee of management minutes, 1936-1964. 4 folders.
Box 41 General correspondence, 1953-1965.
Miscellaneous, 1943-1950.
Program and promotion plans, 1951-1952.


South Central Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1937, located at 26 W. Lake Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, until 1954, when it changed names to the West Central branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the South Central branch of the YMCA Minneapolis, including meeting minutes, miscellaneous branch administrative material, and correspondence. The bulk of the material covers the years 1950-1958.
Box 41 Building plans correspondence, 1957-1960.
Committee of management minutes, 1919-1958. 5 folders.
Miscellaneous, 1944-1954.


South Town Branch

Background Note: The branch was organized in 1915, with offices located at 27th Avenue and East Lake Street. Prior to this, programs for this district were administered from the Central branch. In 1916, offices relocated to 2703 E. Lake Street. In 1920, the offices relocated once again to 2706 E. Lake Street, and just down the block to 2716 E. Lake Street in 1925. In 1951, the branch offices relocated to a new community building located at 1845 E. Lake Street until 1964, when it merged with Roosevelt branch to become the Hiawatha branch at 4100 28th Avenue S.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the South Town branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Included are branch management meeting minutes, general correspondence, reports, and facilities materials, the bulk covering 1940-1960.
Box 41 Building plans, 1944-1960.
Church council, 1921.
Committee of management members, 1936-1960.
Committee of management minutes, 1916-1964. 10 folders.
Box 42 Community work, 1917-1928.
General correspondence, 1952-1970. 2 folders.
Industrial work, 1919, 1941.
Operation statements, 1950-1960. 2 folders.
Plans and policies, 1922-1963.
Printed material, 1920-1929.
Reports, 1916-1945. 2 folders.


Southdale Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1969, located at 4816 Nicollet Avenue South in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with the Washburn-Richfield-Bloomington branch name change to Southdale in 1969; the name change from Washburn-Richfield branch in 1963; and the name change from Washburn branch in 1957. In 1975, the branch relocated to 7355 York Avenue S. in Edina, Minnesota, with a full-facility building.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Southdale Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Records include committee of management meeting minutes, community board meeting minutes, budget hearing material, and Y-Partners campaign records, ranging from 1959-2009. Materials included relate to the transition from the several Washburn area branches that consolidated.
Box 42 Budget hearing material, 1973.
Committee of management minutes, 1970-1971.
Community board meeting minutes, 2007-2009.
Miscellaneous branch reports, 1970-1989.
Y-Partners annual support campaign, 1996-2003. 8 folders.


Southeast Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1912, one of the original six Minneapolis city districts, in the Tuttle School building at the corner of 14th Avenue and Talmadge Street S.E. In 1917, the building was closed, due to the limitations of the building facilities and poor location. Offices were established at 327 14th Avenue S.E., and between 1917-1919, efforts to develop a community program in the Southeast increased membership. In 1927, the branch offices were relocated to 1421 University Avenue S.E., sharing building space with the University of Minnesota YMCA (1425 University Avenue S.E.). In 1939, offices moved to 1507 University Avenue S.E., and again in 1944 to 1411 University Avenue S.E. In 1951, offices were moved to 1425 University Avenue S.E., again sharing building space with the University of Minnesota YMCA branch. In 1960, the Southeast branch offices merged with the Northeast branch to become the Eastside branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Southeast Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis.
Box 42 Branch minutes, 1955-1960.
Committee of management minutes, 1920-1957. 2 folders.
Box 43 Committee of management minutes, 1920-1957. 3 folders.
General file, 1948-1952.
Reports, 1912-1946. 2 folders.
Survey report, 1948.


[Y.MPL.004-1] University of Minnesota YMCA Branch 1916-2011.

Background Note: The University of Minnesota branch was organized separately from the Minneapolis YMCA organization, as an independent association in 1887; but in 1917, the branch joined the Minneapolis Y to become an official branch of that umbrella organization. originally located on 13th Avenue between 4th and 5th streets, in 1889, it moved to a small building on the University campus which later housed the Institute of Child Welfare, SCA, and music. In 1915, branch offices were relocated to the the Men's Union building on campus, Nicholson Hall. In 1923, a new YMCA-owned building was built on campus at 1425 University Avenue S.E., and remained in that location until 1982, when branch offices moved to 1901 University Avenue S.E. In 2000, the branch moved to 1801 University Avenue S.E., again a YMCA-owned building. >> Go to the complete inventory
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the University of Minnesota YMCA Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Available records include annual reports, Board of Management minutes and reports, student population-specific programs, including the Metro Internship, Eight Weeks to Live, Eight Weeks to Die program, and Project Motivation, and general correspondence. The bulk of the material covers 1980-1989.


Washburn Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1937, with offices at 4804 Nicollet Avenue South. In 1951, the branch relocated to 4816 Nicollet Avenue South, with the addition of a new community building. 1957, the branch name is changed to Washburn-Richfield Branch. In 1963, another name change to Washburn-Richfield-Bloomington Branch, which remained until 1969, when the branch name was changed to Southdale.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the Washburn branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Records include building plans, committee of management meeting minutes, and programs.
Box 65 Building plans, 1946-1959.
Committee of management minutes, 1937-1965. 4 folders.
Box 66 Committee of management minutes, 1937-1965. 7 folders.
Drug program, 1972.
General file, 1961-1971.
Washburn /Richfield/Bloomington branch, committee of management minutes, 1966-1969.


West Central Branch

Background Note: The South Central branch was renamed the West Central branch in 1954, located at 26 W. Lake Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1970, the Urban department and the West Central branch merged to form the Urban/West Central branch, and in 1984, the branch changed names to the Blaisdell branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the West Central Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Available records include committee of management minutes, accounting department correspondences, membership lists, general minutes and reports from 1919 to 1970, and include some material from the South Central and Urban branches. The bulk of the material covers the 1940-1959.
Box 66 Accident, 1972.
Accounting department, correspondence, 1960.
Budget hearing material, 1973.
Committee of management minutes, 1919-1958. 2 folders.
Urban branch general minutes, 1970.


West Lake Branch

Background Note: The branch was established in 1919, with offices in the Carville Building at 26 W. Lake Street; however, the first programs for the district were organized from the Central branch, beginning in 1915. In 1921, offices relocated to 26 W. Lake Street. In 1924, the branch relocated again to 2947 1/2 Lyndale Avenue S., and moved again to 5 W. Lake Street in 1929. The branch worked out of the Central branch from 1933 to 1937. Moving out of the Central branch, West Lake branch offices relocated to 1406 W. Lake Street in 1937. In 1954, the branch moved again to 3100 W. Lake Street, and in 1962 moved to 7505 Highway 7, in St. Louis Park. In 1969, the West Lake branch and the Minnetonka branch were reorganized to become the West Suburban Family branch, with offices located at 1400 Fairfield Road, Minnetonka.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the West Lake Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Records include building plans, committee of management meeting minutes, and scholarships and programs.
Box 66 Building plans, 1953-1956.
Committee of management minutes, 1919-1951, 1953-1958. 5 folders.
Opplans, undated.
Scholarships, 1969.


West Suburban Family Branch

Background Note: The West Suburban Family branch resulted from a merge between the West Lake and Minnetonka branches in 1969, at 1400 Fairfield Road. In 1980, the branch opened a full-facility building at 12301 Ridgedale Drive in Minnetonka, Minnesota, and three years later the name changed to the Ridgedale branch.
Content Note: Records documenting the administration and evolution of the West Suburban Branch of the YMCA Minneapolis. Available records include board of management minutes, budget hearing materials, committee of management member lists and minutes, general minutes, and Hi-Y program records, with reports from 1926 to 1979. The bulk of the material covers 1950-1979.
Box 66 Board of management minutes, 1978-1979. 2 folders.
Budget hearing material, 1973.
Committee of management minutes, 1926-1963.
General minutes, 1970.
Insurance, CAA forms, undated.



RELATED MATERIALS

See also the Publications and ephemera records of Metropolitan Minneapolis, separately catalogued in the Kautz Family YMCA Archives.


INDEX TERMS

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the catalog of the University of Minnesota Libraries. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons or places should search the catalog using these headings.
Topics:
Young Men's Christian Associations -- Minnesota -- Minneapolis.
Young Men's Christian Associations -- Administration.
Young Men's Christian Associations -- Buildings.
Places:
Minneapolis (Minn.).
Organizations:
Young Men's Christian Association of Metropolitan Minneapolis.
Young Men's Christian Association of the City of Minneapolis.